STATEMENT OF COMMUNITY LIVING STANDARDS
The University of California, Santa Barbara is a community of persons with diverse racial, ethnic and class backgrounds, national origins, religious and political beliefs, physical abilities, and sexual orientations. We must strive to understand the individuality and life choices of those around us. We need to learn from one another in an atmosphere of positive encouragement and mutual respect. Our activities, classes, and daily interactions are rooted in a genuine desire to learn from others. In addition, we must give the respect which we, ourselves, desire. We strongly believe that our actions demonstrate our commitment to respecting individual difference. We believe that we are individually and collectively responsible for our behavior and are fully accountable for our actions. We must take initiative and responsibility for our own learning and awareness of the differences that exist in our community and avoid all action that diminishes others. Bigotry has no place within our community, nor does the denigration of another human being on the basis of age, physical handicap, national origin, sexual orientation, race, gender, or religious affiliation. We will not tolerate threats, intimidation, violence or other forms of harassment against any member of our community. Likewise, we will not accept ignorance, humor, anger, or substance abuse as an excuse, reason or rationale for such behavior. Such behavior will be subject to the severest of disciplinary actions that may include, but is not limited to, immediate removal from the residence halls and exclusion from the Program. As part of the university community of students and scholars, you will have many opportunities to use the campus's academic and social resources, but you also have the responsibility to adhere by a code of conduct that values respect, civility, and community. FSSP is but one program that takes advantage of UCSB's academic, social, and physical resources during the summertime. You will see communities ranging from high school students to adults on campus, living in nearby residence halls and using the dining facilities throughout the summer, and, in fact, you will have the opportunity to interact with other groups of incoming students and regularly enrolled UCSB students. Together with you, these groups form the greater UCSB community that contribute to its excellence.
KEY FSSP / RESIDENTIAL LIFE POLICIES
Violations of the following policies or of federal, state, or local laws will result in disciplinary action that could include immediate expulsion from FSSP and cancellation of your Housing Contract. The University reserves the right to supplement policies relating to the acts and behavior of FSSP participants at the start of FSSP or at any time thereafter as needed. All of these rules apply to conduct on or off campus.
- Alcohol: The possession, use, distribution, or sale of alcohol by minors is illegal as defined by state and federal laws and such behavior is prohibited at all times during the Program.
- Destruction of Property: Destruction or vandalism to the structure of the building is prohibited. Violators are subject to full payment for any damage caused to the residence hall, the student's room or fixtures, furnishings or equipment.
- Drugs: The possession, use, distribution, cultivation, or sale of illegal drugs as defined by state and federal laws is prohibited at any time during the Program.
- Fighting: Any form of physical violence against another individual is prohibited.
- Sexual Harassment Policy : The University of California is committed to creating and maintaining a community in which all persons who participate in programs and activities at the University can work together in an atmosphere free of all forms of harassment, exploitation, or intimidation. In particular, every member of programs held at the University should be aware that the University is strongly opposed to sexual harassment and that such behavior is prohibited by law and by University policy. It is the intention of the University to take whatever action may be needed to prevent, correct and if necessary, discipline behavior which violates this policy.
- Theft: Theft of any object belonging to another person or property of the building is prohibited. Violators are subject to full payment of loss caused to the residence hall, the student's room or fixtures, furnishings, or equipment.
- Weapons or fireworks : No weapons or fireworks of any kind may be in the possession of any student enrolled in the Program.
(A complete overview of housing policies can be found in your Housing Contract.)
FSSP / RESIDENTIAL LIFE HOUSING CONTRACT AND REFUND POLICY
Your Housing Contract is for the entire Academic Year, from the move-in date through the end of spring quarter, unless you have pre-arranged for housing during FSSP only. Should you be dismissed from FSSP before the end of the Program, your housing contract for the summer will be cancelled and contract cancellation fees will be assessed.
In the event of such exclusion from FSSP and the residence hall, you should immediately consult your college advising office to discuss any possible consequences for your academic courses. Please contact Housing Assignments Services directly for any questions related specifically to housing during FSSP or the housing cancellation policy: (805) 893-5513.