First, that the department has made a good-faith effort to find a qualified instructor not needing an exception.
Second, the graduate student being considered for the exception must:
- Be enrolled in a minimum of four (4) summer units*.
- Be in good academic standing (i.e., GPA of at least 3.0 in academic work and fewer than 12 units of incompletes or no grades).
- Meet the four-year time limit set for advancement to doctoral candidacy.
- Be within the seven-year time limit set for the doctoral degree.
- Meet all other minimum qualification for an ASE appointment (e.g. Associate must has a Master's degree or advancement to candidacy).
*NOTE: There is no fee remission in the summer term. The ASE is responsible for all summer fees.